Friday, May 22, 2009

Almond Roca



When I was younger, I used to have treats from my Grandpa in Penang. As I was the youngest grandchild from his all his sons, he used to pamper me dearly (and still do now) because I'm so lovely and nice (HAHAHAHA). But its true. Old folks do love me.


Anyway, he used to treat me to this amazing sweet toffee thing. I have forgotten all the treats I have in my childhood, but this. This just lingered in my mind, on and on. I have not have this treat in YEARS till a few days ago I saw it on sale at NTUC.



Yes. Almond Roca. Have you tried it before? It's like tiny drops of HEAVEN!!!! Gosh. As I bit into it, memories of the past came back as I savoured every bit of the goodness.

According to Wiki,
Almond Roca is a brand of chocolate toffee butter crunch candy containing a ground almond coating and also almond chunks inside the candy itself. It is made by the Brown & Haley Co. of Tacoma, Washington.
Almond Roca was invented in 1923 by Harry Brown and J. C. Haley, founders of Brown & Haley. The candy's name is said to have been inspired by a local librarian, who chose the Spanish word "roca", meaning "rock" in English, to describe the hard, log-shaped confection.[1] Brown & Haley first used Almond Roca's trademark tin can containers in 1927 to extend the product's shelf life.[1] Individual pieces of Almond Roca candy are wrapped in gold-colored aluminum foil.

The tin is just antique (if you manage to find ones covered in RUST) as this design has dated back to the 20's.

My my, if you are have a sweettooth and you have not had the chance to savour this English goodness, be sure to grab the chance when you do!!!!!!

No comments: