Sunday, April 12, 2009

Marley and Me, Life and assortments

I spent most of the day with my old folks today. Well technically I woke up at 330pm then went for a nap again with mum at 5pm till dinner time.

Then we spent more quality time having dinner, I playing the piano to entertain them, then played with my dog for a bit, watched Dad chop up frozen fish to feed his other fishes, phoned Grandpa for a chat, then settled for a movie called Marley and Me.

Yes this is the second time I am watching this show.

But I left just as the end approached.

I anticipated that I could not take it. I knew I was going to cry. I hated sad endings. That was infact the reality of life. Your dogs would die sooner or later. And you would have to deal with the loss.

That is something about me. I absolutely HATE attachments. Because you know, they don't last. Nothing is forever. One day, they will leave you, and you will be alone again. People leave, animals leave, everything leaves you. I also hate departures. I hate having the awkward goodbyes which would break my heart absolutely 100% everytime.

I remember the time, around 1 year ago from today. My saddest goodbye - yet.

I remember saying goodbye to him at the airport. I remember being peeled away from his arms at the departure gate. I remember him waving expressionlessly back at me as I turned into the departure hall. I remembered my heart breaking. I remembered his crooked sad smile. I remembered his eyes, of which the sparkle was lost. I remembered crying 14 hours on the way back and also 2 months later. I remembered pining for him everyday. I remembered not being myself at all.

That was until I met him. Everything changed. I stopped pining. I stopped crying. Everything just seemed to move on.

Maybe departures are just a temporary part of life that you thought you'd never get over until you found something better to focus on. Maybe the meeting and destiny between people and animals are also like that. Maybe we aren't suppose to be together forever. No one is.

There was this Chinese ancient myth that couples will be together for only 3 lifetimes. How would you know that this would be your last lifetime together with your spouse or loved one? What would you lose if you never met him again in the next life? What if he stood next to you in a bus line and you never knew that he was once part of your life for 3 lifetimes? The person whom you lay next to every night, who shared you tears and laughter, your hard times and good. Imagine just walking past him like any other stranger in this vast world, not knowing that previously you both have met and shared several memories. Have you ever come across someone who's face is so familiar but you don't know the person? It feels like deja vu doesn't it. Perhaps that particular person was someone to you in your previous life. Who knows?

Life is very fragile. It is vulnerable. It is a fine thread. Treasure your time with your loved ones. Your parents especially. Because they won't be there for long. Treasure your pets. They love you with all their hearts.

Life isn't about rushing to work, staying till late and making all the money in the world. At your death bed, when those memories flash by your eyes as you are fading out, make sure you don't regret anything that you have never done.

1 comment:

Princess of the Red Bean said...

Ciiii... Emo post affected my mood today.

It's all part of life. But it's more worthwhile to cherish the things we have than to mope over the things we don't. U have ppl like [insert whomsoevers name] and me to go on tru life with u. Bearable larh hor.

Hugs baby, rmbr when we were in Barcelona I told u I loved u all of a sudden on the street. As long I have the chance, I will tell you and reassure you just in case tomorrow I get struck by lightning / become mentally ill / get possessed by hungry ghost and loose my memory / aliens kidnap me to Mars.