Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Notebook

If I had to vote for the most romantic movie of the century, it'd be The Notebook. The people who crazily voted for it as one of the most romantic movies was correct. It is indeed the best, heartwrenching movie I've ever watched. Not such a good idea at 1130pm and when you have to work the next day.




Ok la, given it was a bit boring at the beginning (I've watched it 2 times, but cried nevertheless both times). I actually personally felt that the old couple did a better job at acting than the young couple. I don't know why. perhaps the years that made their love as strong was the sentimental romantic part that I was crying about.





So ok, the young couple was torn apart for years, then got back together and lived happily ever after... till she got dementia. She had to be admitted in the old folk's home, and he admitted himself in there as well, just to be with her.

That's where the sad part comes in. She drifts in and out for minutes sometimes, her memories come back and go. Her husband would always read the story to her everyday, a story that she wrote of them when they were young and all the things they did, bla bla bla. And then she'd come back from her dementia and remember him. Once suddenly, while they were dancing, her dementia struck and she was shocked at why he called her darling and then she went into panic and started screaming till the docs had to poke a needle in her. It was heartbreaking watching her husband watching her and cry.

Then one day, he had a heart attack, and the wife was so lost without him. Later at night he snuck into her room and they had a cuddle, and she asked if their love was strong enough to take them away together. And they passed away that night.

Fuck me dead. That was the saddest thing ever. Cried till my eyes were swollen today.

Go watch it. I swear the movie is even better than my synopsis of it!

No comments: